Thursday 1 March 2018

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Solo founder and MVP. New co-founder equity split?

Ask HN: Solo founder and MVP. New co-founder equity split?
6 by Blackstone4 | 7 comments on Hacker News.
I am a solo founder looking to bring on a co-founder. My original idea came to me over a year ago and I've worked on it evening and weekends. Four months ago, I left my job to work on my startup full-time. I'm in my early 30's and my background is in investments and software. After college, I was a software engineer for two years before moving into asset management in a front office role. My product is built on the domain knowledge I gain in this area. It's B2B SaaS with target ~$15k-$100k p.a. revenue per customer. I've finished my MVP and am about to go full tilt into sales mode. I would love to bring on someone to do sales. I'm in early stage discussions with a potential co-founder who is a friend and someone I have worked with. He's in his late 20's and recently completed an MBA at a top school. His background is in business strategy and analytics (sales focused). He hesitates when it comes to sales because he does not see himself as a sales person. Having said that I think he could do it and his role would evolve over time away from direct sales into more of a management role. I feel like he would be a good fit because we get on well, he's smart and has decent experience. He is interested in startups and told me he wants to jump in with both feet. He doesn't want to make a rash decision so is holding back a bit. His initial thoughts are he would work one day a week + weekends (his work situation is flexible) and eventually go full-time. I would love to have him full-time. He has a one month notice period on his contract. Equity vesting would start once he is full-time over a 4 year period. If he starts full-time in one-month, how much equity could I give him? If he continues to keep his full-time job and goes full-time with me in X months, how could I think about the equity split?

No comments:

Post a Comment